We always think of workplace injuries from the perspective of management; how much it’s going to add onto insurance; how much we need to spend on overtime to get work done, etc. What we seldom think about is that workplace accident from the perspective of the unsafe employee. We’re going to try and dive into the injured employee’s lives a little bit today and get an idea of what all they go through when they get injured. If it’s bad enough, like we’re going to assume, their lives are irreparably altered forever. Think about what that’s like. Hopefully, after this article, you’ll see from a different point of view why you need to increase safety awareness and focus on protecting each of your employees.
What all can a workplace injury cause? Here’s all the ways we think a workplace injury can impact an employees’ life:
- They can suffer from chronic pain
- Their doctor will place limitations on them
- Their jobs will change due to limitations placed on them by their doctor
- They’ll have to endure physical therapy
- They’ll forever be concerned about their health
- They’ll be treated differently, now and forever
- They’ll have to miss work because of appointments, reducing their income
- They’ll probably suffer from anxiety
- And stress
- And depression
- And other stress-related mental illnesses
- They’ll have to take prescription pills
- They’ll probably become addicted to those prescription pills
- They’ll have fewer job opportunities because no one wants to hire a disabled person
- They may suffer familial problems
- Their lack of income could cause loss of possessions and credit
- They may have to get welfare
- They’ll eventually have to have more surgeries to fix more problems stemming from their one incident
- They’ll leave their medical bills to their children, and probably to their children’s’ children too
- They’ll probably never have the life they once had
Life-altering injuries are hard. That is why it is very important to create a safe working environment for your employees. Creating that safe environment includes good policy, as well as highly trained employees who know how to behave safely while performing their duties. A safety incentive program is a good way to institute a culture of safety into your workplace. It rewards your employees for behaving safely, for completing safety training, and for helping develop future safety policies. The programs we offer at Loyaltyworks give employees access to millions of different reward items when they succeed in the program.
We’re big on recognizing employees, and motivating employees, but mostly on caring about employees. The things we described above are a harsh reality, but not one that we want to happen to anyone. That’s why we do what we do. Call us today at 1-800-844-5000 and we’ll show you how our programs can help prevent this from happening. We’d love to give you a free demo and to show you exactly why our clients recently gave us a 95% excellent rating and said they would refer us on to a friend.